Ken Layton

Default Tech Review: Victor's (8liners/Genao) Replacement Arcade RGB Monitor Chassis (LONG)

Yes, it would be a nice idea to include screen shots of each donor
tubes' picture. Did you put a picture on this board with a monitor
pattern generator and/or just a video game board? Personally, I like
to use a monitor pattern generator first to get most of the focus,
screen, rough color balance, and rough picture centering/size stuff
out of the way. Then I use a Street Fighter II game board in the video
test mode to get fine color balance and razor sharp focus and screen
control adjusts to perfection. The SFII board has an excellent "stair
step" red-green-blue scale on screen that's perfect for color balance.
Does this new chassis have a "pincushion" control/adjustment on it? It
might be labeled "SPC" (Side Pincushion Correct). If not, then it may
be something that Victor may want to request be included in the
chassis from his chassis supplier in Taiwan.

One other important item to think about is for those reporting on what
donor tubes they tried is to include the yoke resistance, picture tube
number, AND the make & model of the tv set it came from. I really have
to applaud Victor's efforts to help bring affordable monitors to us
all in the game community. Not all of us can afford to go out and buy
brand new monitors all the time. He makes it easy for those who aren't
well-versed in monitor repair to do some work themselves and come out
with a working monitor.