Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Winston_Smith[_4_] Winston_Smith[_4_] is offline

Default EPA caught VW cheating - how does the car know it's beingtested?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 16:04:25 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

The Justice Department reached an agreement
with GM over the faulty ignition switches. Prosecution
is deferred and the GM execs promise to be goodie two
shoes. http://preview.alturl.com/ctzff Over 100
people died.
I don't think Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy
are running the Justice Department.

You have to keep in mind that there are DIFFERENT laws when
safety is involved (NHTSA) versus the environment (EPA).

The NY Times, I think it was, discussed the difference, which
essentially said that the EPA actually has more power to fine
them than does the NHTSA.

We should look up the details, but, my point is that the laws
and maximum penalties are totally DIFFERENT for safety violations
versus emissions violations.

Inexplicably, the emissions violation laws appear (at first
inspection) to be more stringent.

Go figure.