Lobster

Default interior Painting newly built house ?

"Grunff" wrote in message
josepea wrote:

I want to paint my living room walls. The house is newly built-only
six years old. The walls were painted initially with what can only be
described as a powdery matt paint. If you brush past the walls then
you get the powdery stuff on your clothes ! I've tried to wash down
the walls with sugar soap and some of the powder paint has come off
revealing bare plasterboard.Any advice on how to prepare the walls for
painting ?

PVA:water mix, about 1:4

I'm just wondering, is the all-curing PVA really appropriate for this
application? I ask because I have recently had a whole house skim-plastered,
which I followed up by painting the lot with 1:4 PVA prior to applying vinyl
silk emulsion which I'm now doing. However, the PVA'd walls are now quite
shiny and impervious and I have to say I'm a bit concerned how the emulsion
is adhering to its substrate; doesn't seem that great to me. I'm worried
it's all going to fall off. Previously I've used dilute emulsion to prime
the plaster, which seemed to work better TBH.

David