Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Sharp microwave door won't latch - How did you get the inside panel off?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 06 Sep 2015 04:44:01 +0000, bc
wrote:

replying to Dot, bc wrote:
Dot wrote:

How did you get the inside panel off the door?

I stumbled on this site for the same issue with older Sharp microwave.
After reading about the door spring, it was a quick and easy fix. Just
pry at the plastic around the sliding latch and it'll pop out. Like
others described, the bottom piece of plastic broke that held the spring.
I had an old spring lying around that I doubled up with the existing
spring so it could attach at a lower fixed spot. It's fully functional
again. Thanks for the info!

I had invited myself to stay with friends in Staten Island 10 or 15
years ago, and one is supposed to bring a hostess gitt, but I'm not very
good at that. They both went to work in the morning. Laura or Mike
had mentioned that the latch on the built in microwave didn't latch, so
without asking them, I took the door apart and the little plastic peg
one end of the spring was attached to had broken. I used a wire tie I
found in their drawer, and tied the spring to something farther down,
using the length of the wire to make up the difference. it was looped
twice so it was four strands strong.

Boy were they surprised when they got home and the microwave worked. A
lot better than most hostess gifts.

--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus