Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] avagadro7@gmail.com is offline

Default Glue for repairing wall warts and laptop batteries?

On Wednesday, April 29, 2015 at 10:51:28 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2015 19:19:26 -0700, mike wrote:

RTV has the same shelf life problem. And it's GAWD awful expensive.

Yep. 1 year at best. One part RTV cures by the action of atmospheric
water (humidity) on acetoxysilane to form acetic acid. All it takes
is a little water in either a porous container or lousy cap fit, and
you have a guaranteed limited shelf life. I've tried vacuum sealed
bags over rubber cement, silicone, and some smelly solvents, with
generally good results. Whether it's worth the effort is debateable.

You can also get two part RTV. The most common types are rubber
casting compound and high cure rate production line adhesives commonly
used in appliance assembly. For example:
https://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/80-3375.pdf
The problem is that these don't have any better shelf life than the
one part RTV, about 1 year.

All the stuff I've found at reasonable prices or at the hardware store
exude acetic acid.

You can get non-acetic acid RTV, also known as non-corrosive silicone.
https://www.google.com/search?q=non-corrosive+silicone+adhesive&tbm=isch

This might be enlightening:
http://yarchive.net/electr/silicone_sealant_corrosiveness.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

use the bag. roll up the tube bottom when using just like on TV forcing the air out, place small bag square over outlet then screw cap just so before closing while squeezing the bottom of tube at the rollup focing last air out while snuuging the cap down tight.

I split caps...keep a box of spares with the paint nozzles and bag ties