Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Captain Obvious Captain Obvious is offline

Default One-handed pullups

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 22:28:04 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:40:31 -0700, Captain Obvious
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 17:25:20 -0700 (PDT), Grokman Grokman
wrote:

WTF is talking about oil and friction?

Nothing you need to be concerned about. Nothing worth explaining to
you. Nothing you'd ever learn if it could be injected into your brain.

Speaking of the Blue Ridge Parkway and getting your hands into
motorcycle maintenance while teaching cultural studies at the
University of Virginia, did you guys ever read _Shop Class as
Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work_, by Matt Crawford?
Excellent food for thought.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-Sou...8222990&sr=1-2

I might grab that. Although I'd probably get a sore neck from nodding
in agreement paragraph after paragraph. If there's one bit of wisdom I
take credit for, it's knowing that it was always a good idea to do
things myself, no matter how many insisted I should hire it out. With
every chore, even if slow or muddled, I learn a bit more, which makes
the next chore more feasible. Everything from haircuts to difficult
property development. Our sweat equity investments have paid off
handsomely over the decades and continue even now in "retirement."
There have been many aspects of my current project that most people
would have no choice but to forego or pay through the nose. On two of
those items alone the money saved paid for my bike to name just one. I
could make a list of projects I took on and match them to assets most
people would love to have. Seems dead simple to me, and I had that
discussion recently with a guy who has three teens. He agreed in
principal, but it was clear that he'd gone down a more usual path and
that his kids are about to do the same. Any sort of tradecraft was
unfashionable when I was in high school, and apparently that hasn't
changed much.