Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Captain Obvious Captain Obvious is offline

Default One-handed pullups

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 15:16:09 -0700 (PDT), Grokman Grokman
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 2:13:18 PM UTC-4, Harold McKinney wrote:
"Though I tried a fast rep of 25 pull ups [chortle] and started getting
some chest pressure at 20 [chortle], yesterday. I cant do more than
about 5 one handed pull ups anymore..sigh..old age is creeping up."

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...o/rOC-Y63ENh8J

A scant three years later:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...22097241260450

gummer has never done even a single one-handed pullup, of course.
gummer has never been able to do 25 pullups. At age 53, 210 lb, gummer
couldn't do *one* two-handed pullup.

Awwww, Gummer, Moi is proly yer biggest fan here. Only fan?? LOL
But goddamm, 1-handed pullups?? Those are hard to find even on youtube! You need gymnastic
level strength/wt ratios to pull these off. The guys that can do these are sinewy bean poles.
Frank Medrano might be one who can.

A year or so ago I could manage 1 or two barely-controllable negative reps one-handed, at 6', 180 lbs.
So unpleasant to do, haven't done them since, sure I'd have to practice like crazy to do them again
. Easy to tear a bicep doing these, proly not advisable to even try anymore, esp with age.

This will blow your mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCOah6uN5ro
Funny, these guys didn't look particularly cut up/developed, but wow...
The last guy, even tho he topped the list, is doing some Crossfit kipping bull****, which proly gave him
an extra 5 reps or so. Still, all enormously impressive, these guys disguise the true difficulty of this move.

Keep in mind, this is as much shoulder/lats as it is bicep, maybe more. You can prove this by testing your max
curl with weights, proly manage half your bodyweight, the rest comes from lats/shoulders. This is proly where
these guys are very strong.

How many of those guys insist they've ridden a motorcycle at 264 mph,
and claim to have driven more than 900 miles every day for 30 years?