Jerry Greenberg

Default 21" Monitor problem: Poor brightness. Dell D1626HT/ Sony GDM-500 chassis

I have seen CRT's go weak where there was a lot of brightness loss,
and yet the pictures were still sharp. I think it is how the tube
deteriates that indicates how it will look. Most of the time, they do
go soft, but not always.

Jerry Greenberg

--

Lionel wrote in message ...
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 07:17:14 -0700, in
, "Sofie" said:

Lionel:
You cannot "fix" or "tweak" a weak CRT. In it's previous life, it was
probably left on 24/7 ..... this is most likely why you were able to pick
it up for "cheap" at a market.
A CRT rejuvenator like a B&K or Sencor MIGHT be able to eek some more life
and brightness out of it.

Any time I've looked at monitors with worn out CRTs, they've usually had
weak contrast, & a general 'murky' look. This one has a razor sharp,
very clean image, apart from the lack in brightness. (It was running
when I bought it, & I wouldn't have bothered if it'd had a bad looking
image.)

It's worth mentioning that this beast has a digital diags port that's
accessible via a hatch on the rear cover, & that the service guide says
you're supposed to use some sort of proprietory device to do the initial
convergence (etc) setup on it. My guess is that you need it to access
all the adjustments that are normally done with trimmers, etc.