Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Spencer Mike Spencer is offline

Default Large anvils

"Jim Wilkins" writes:

I have a Wilkin(son?) anvil that weighs 0-1-8, and has been entirely
adequate for my uses. What would one of that low weight have been
intended for?

0 cwt + 1/4 cwt + 8 lbs where a cwt is 112 lbs. so 36 lbs.

Any light work or where portability was important. Sears & Roebuck
used to sell a kit of forge, anvil and vise for use on the farm. I
don't recall the details now. The anvil was rather small but maybe
not that small. Occasional shoeing, minor repairs, what a 1890s
farmer could do for himself. Nail making before cut and then wire
nails. Making small tools such as gravers, calipers or chisels.
Various riveting jobs, e.g draught harness repairs. Saw
setting. Anything light where a solid dinking surface was required.

Stake anvils with a longish stake ending in a spike, under 100#, were
made for carrying into the woods. The spike, driven into a stump,
anchored the anvil firmly enough for light forging and on-site repairs.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada