Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical - what's wrong with this?

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
I don't mean technically or Code, but we have a well and we have
noway of knowing when there is a pump problem until there is no
water. So here's my thinking.

It is pretty common for the water to wear a hole in the lowest pipe
about 10" above the pump connection. When the pumps shuts off, this
then drains down the water head so the pump needs to run again.

This happens in pump-cycles until the hole is big enough and we run
out of water. We are not aware of the increased frequency of the
pump running until the pump output matches the hole exhaust
capability.

So, not only do we have to pay $700 to have the pump lifted and pipe
replaced, we will have paid a bunch on wasted power as it can be a
few months before the hole is big enough to cause a noticeable
issue.

I have one of these and very pleased with it.
http://www.amazon.com/TS-836A-Energy...ds=power+meter

I am thinking of getting one of these and it's female counterpart.
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-000-51...rds=power+plug

Then wire the plug set into one leg of the pump 240 and Neutral and
plug the meter in between. I can check the Cost on the meter
regularly and will know if there is trouble brewing.

**Helpful** thoughts?

Dave

I have a Kill-A-Watt-EZ on the fridge and yesterday I also datalogged
its temperature cycling and run current, to determine the duty cycle
and performance margin at 72F room temperature. It costs me $3.52 per
month right now.

In my experience, doing the same thing in midwinter with my backup
electric heat, this LED that turns on when current flows would be more
useful if you can locate it in your normal living space.
http://www.amazon.com/CR-Magnetics-R.../dp/B006K3O1MY

-jsw