Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Electrical - what's wrong with this?

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 08:53:06 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

I don't mean technically or Code, but we have a well and we have noway of knowing when there is a pump problem until there is no water. So here's my thinking.

It is pretty common for the water to wear a hole in the lowest pipe about 10" above the pump connection. When the pumps shuts off, this then drains down the water head so the pump needs to run again.

This happens in pump-cycles until the hole is big enough and we run out of water. We are not aware of the increased frequency of the pump running until the pump output matches the hole exhaust capability.

So, not only do we have to pay $700 to have the pump lifted and pipe replaced, we will have paid a bunch on wasted power as it can be a few months before the hole is big enough to cause a noticeable issue.

I have one of these and very pleased with it.
http://www.amazon.com/TS-836A-Energy...ds=power+meter

I am thinking of getting one of these and it's female counterpart.
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-000-51...rds=power+plug

Then wire the plug set into one leg of the pump 240 and Neutral and plug the meter in between. I can check the Cost on the meter regularly and will know if there is trouble brewing.

**Helpful** thoughts?

Dave

May or may not work, depending on whether the meter looks at the hot
or neutral leg to sense current. It'd be easier to install a
running-time meter in the pressure switch circuit, and less worries
about code compliance.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271092460905

--
Ned Simmons