Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Electrical - what's wrong with this?

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 08:53:06 -0700, Dave, I can't do that wrote:

I don't mean technically or Code, but we have a well and we have noway
of knowing when there is a pump problem until there is no water. So
here's my thinking.

It is pretty common for the water to wear a hole in the lowest pipe
about 10" above the pump connection. When the pumps shuts off, this then
drains down the water head so the pump needs to run again.

This happens in pump-cycles until the hole is big enough and we run out
of water. We are not aware of the increased frequency of the pump
running until the pump output matches the hole exhaust capability.

So, not only do we have to pay $700 to have the pump lifted and pipe
replaced, we will have paid a bunch on wasted power as it can be a few
months before the hole is big enough to cause a noticeable issue.

I have one of these and very pleased with it.
http://www.amazon.com/TS-836A-Energy...ty-Monitor/dp/

B00E945SJG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435938092&sr=8-2&keywords=power+meter

I am thinking of getting one of these and it's female counterpart.
http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-000-51...r-Grounded/dp/

B000FKBZ7M/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1435938149&sr=8-15&keywords=power+plug

Then wire the plug set into one leg of the pump 240 and Neutral and plug
the meter in between. I can check the Cost on the meter regularly and
will know if there is trouble brewing.

**Helpful** thoughts?

Dave

Your fancy wattmeter will only read half of what the pump is actually
using. You probably knew that already.

Make sure your fancy wattmeter can stand the current draw -- a normal
outlet is 10 or 15 amps; your pump may need much more.

All you really need is an instrument that'll show accrued time. If you
could get an old mechanical clock that had a "days" dial then you could
use that. Or just an old mechanical clock, if you looked at it often
enough.

If you don't like my mechanical clock idea, and if your wattmeter gizmo
can't handle the pump current, wire a socket into one leg of the pump
supply as planned (if you want to be Electrically Correct fuse it for 15
A), plug your gizmo into it, and plug a load, like a 100W light bulb,
into the gizmo. Then your total energy usage will be a measure of time.
It won't be perfect, and you'll need to make sure that your light bulb
isn't burnt out, but you'll get a reading on pump usage.

For that matter, if there's someplace in your house close to the pump
circuit where you're to be found often, just put the light there and keep
an eye on it. Even if the pump house is outside, a 100W light bulb
should be visible most of the time.

--
www.wescottdesign.com