Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Volvo's supercharger + turbocharger

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 03:27:33 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
For the gearheads:

If you think that engines are getting too complicated, you'll want to
take a look at Volvo's T6 engine. It has both a mechanical
supercharger and a turbocharger.

This has been in the press for around a year, but the engine is
available in two cars, is in production, and is getting some reviews.
Apparently it's very nice to drive. I wonder how nice it is to
repair...

The Eaton supercharger is there for low-end boost, to make the 2-liter
4-cyl. feel like a V8, with no turbo lag. At around 3500 rpm, a clutch
disingages the supercharger and the turbo, which is now fully spooled
up, takes over. It produces 302 hp and 295 ft.-lb of torque.

It's impressive engineering but I think they just tipped over the
edge. With direct injection, variable cam timing, and two types of
superchargers, it has to make mechanics gulp. I hope they've given as
much thought to maintenance and repair.

A fellow NYer built a "Pro-Street" J-2000. Had 2 blowers and twin
turbochargers. Plus nitrous and injection for the extra fuel required.

http://www.stanceiseverything.com/20...pontiac-j2000/

I always enjoy wretched excess, especially when it's chromed and
nicely polished. g

My two favorites over the years were a small-block Chevy-powered
unicycle, which I saw at a Miami hot rod show in 1963, and Jay Leno's
tank-engined car, which I actually got to fondle when I was out there
last year:

http://pop.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/15/05/...no-tankcar.jpg

(Although I spent more time fondling his Grand Prix Bugattis from the
1920s and 1930s.)

--
Ed Huntress