Badger

Default Is anybody really repairing electronics in the home

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 16:28:27 -0700, "bigmike"
wrote:

"Badger" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:21:33 GMT, WM wrote:

Well I don't know about you guys, but I do all my Service in-home,
and about 90% of it is a 1 trip Job. Only if I don't have the parts do
I have to make a 2nd trip. And by the way Sears has been doing
in-home service for years.

I carry quite a collection of Service manauls on my laptop, and with
the portable test Equipment , now a days, all most all the service can
be done in the home.

Mike

I would not want to do all my servicing in home nowadays. To many
intermintent problems, and repairs that require being on a bench to do
correctly, such as replacing surface components, LSI chips, or repairing
tuners. Unless your in a situation where you can carry most all the parts
and boards for a certain brand or brands of tvs, and all the service
manuals, it's just not an option. I also like letting a set that I fix run
for at least an afternoon before sending it home. Unless it's a RPTV, I much
prefer servicing sets on the bench.

Well I didn't say I prefer doing the calls in the home, as I would
like to do more in the shop, but for these BigScreen, its not
practical to be carring them in to the Shop. I have spent the last 20
Years working for Sears as both a Shop Tech, and a field Tech, Sears
closed there doors in my area, so I was forced in to early Retirement.
But I wasn't ready to retire. So its back to work for me. Started my
own business, and I like not having the overhead of a Shop, and so far
I have only had 3 sets that I needed to bring in to the shop, 2 were
Fluid leaks, and I needed to clean the board, and the other was a RCA
tuner problem, and I only had to bring in the boards, not the whole
set.

But your right I do prefer working in the shop, its just not
practical right now. Although I do have an alterntive! I am working
on a Shop in a Step Van right now, just for a little more flexabitly,
and I should have it going in just a few weeks..

Mike

I recently received a call from GE asking us
to become a warranty repair shop. After a few
questions the rep seemed to have no answer for.
Like how much will I have to spend to become
a GE warranty servicer. Purchasing service lit,
special test equipment, labor rates and how
they pay me. Home service came up.

They expect all repairs to be done in home.

Maybe I'm missing something but the days of
fixing these modern tv's with a soldering gun,
a multimeter, and a few simple tools is long
gone.

Granted all my Sencore equipment has handles
but I wouldn't consider it portable. My soldering
stations for surface mount and regular soldering
and desoldering practically take up a whole bench.

My laptop would handle the service lit. But even
with that hauling all this stuff into poorly lit
dark rooms will only result in a inferior repair
and broken test equipment.

According to the rep from GE all their service
centers are doing in home repair. So are any
of you guys? And if so how?

WM