Jerry Greenberg

Default Sony G410R Monitor problem (and bad Sony support)

In the price range you payed for the monitor, it is not a high end
unit. But, the pictures should be reasonable good. By your
description there is a purity adjustment problem or the mask in the
tube is defective.

I would call back to the service people, and arrange to send the
monitor back again. This is your only recoarse at this time.

The dealer cannot take back the monitor without a loss. It is also
not the dealer's fault. Basicly you have a defective monitor according
to your description, and it should be made to work to specs.

Some of these larger monitors have a corner purity user setup in the
user menus. This is to compensate for the earth's field that can
effect the mask in the tube. The monitor may have been good on the
service tech's bench, and after relocation it is not good. See your
instruction manual.

--

This comment is not to have a language debate.

As for the language problem, the world language for business and
technology is English, and this is why the Sony people outside of
Quebec will only speak English. Infact Sony and many other global
businesses in France, French W. Guiana, and other French countries,
mainly operate in English for their main stream of business.

On a global basis, Quebec is still back in the 1600's with their
language police, and lack of freedoms and rights under the Canadian
charter. This is still yet to go through the courts. They are still
levying fines and closing down business where there are more than 5
employees, and the operators cannot speak fluent French!

The business reputation of Quebec is very poor on the international
scale at this time. Many companies are still leaving even though a
new Libral government has been elected.

This is a whole issue that is an on going debate which the rest of the
world is still watching!

This is only a comment that I am aware of. There have been many issues
aired on various TV and radio stations all over the world about this
aspect of Quebec. I figured you were from Quebec, because of your
comment on language.

Jerry G.

--

Steeve M wrote in message . 14...
(Long post - Excuse my bad english, my first language is french)

Here's my history with a 19'' Sony G410R monitor (same model that G420s but
without the speakers).

At the beginning of May 2003: In hope to buy what's best or almost, I
ordered at my local retailer a Sony G410R for 730$ (CDN) including taxes.
One week later I've received the product. After approximately 30 minutes of
use, I saw that about 1/3 of the screen has a sort of greyish (or
greenish), slightly darker tint when the whole screen is white. (sort of
the very white center is surrounded by a more-greyish area which is more
shefted to the left). White on all monitors I've ever seen is not totally
pure, but for some reason this is more visible/annoying. It's like a fog
which gives desire for passing a clean linen on the screen. Also, on each
side of the screen (on the edges), there's two lines of a very pure white,
as pure as all the screen should be normally but which makes contrast with
all the rest. I've tried to remain calm and believe that's only a
degaussing problem. I've degauss the screen several times (days after days)
and nothing changes. I've tried the monitor on 3 differents computers,
video cards and resolutions : it's always there...

Also, I've discovered that my monitor emits a noise of high-frequency sound
that is irritating. When I change from a dark screen to a bright one, I can
hear the frequency changing. It is necessary to be in a quiet environment
to hear it. When the monitor is "hot" the noise is tending to disappear.
I've discovered a person having this same problem, you can read his post at
the following adress http://www.epinions.com/content_79099432580

I've thus decided to send an email to Sony at to submit my
problems to them and ask their opinion. We are now in July and they never
answered. I've also called customer support at 1-800-961-7669. This number
does not provide any French-speaking support. I've asked to be served in
French as it's my first language. It was impossible, nobody spoke French
over there. The representative gives me a new number for French support who
was in fact the same number that I've juste called. What a joke!

One week after my purchase I've brought back the monitor to my local
retailer who decides to ship the screen to Sony (Toronto) for exchange or
repair. I've crossed my fingers to have a new one in return. One month and
half later (!) the screen returns to my local retailer. It was no more in
his original box and was packed with puffed up foam, thus depriving me of
any possible return to the supplier. I thinked that it was not a big
problem if the monitor is perfectly repaired! I turn over at home and
connected it with a light stress: It was "better", but not 100% correct.
The two white stripes on the sides was disappeared but the greenish spot
was apparent, but not as hard as before. But each time that a white windows
with black text showed on the zone in question (e.g.: when I make a
research on google), the spot reappears, leaving an impression of
dirtiness. Three parts were supposly changed in the monitor. I cannot say
which one because the person in charge of the file was absent during 3
weeks. Anyhow, changed pieces or not, the problem is still present. That
does not jump to the eyes, one does not look at and say "Wow! What is this
spot?" It's after a few minutes of work that you realizes that something is
wrong, especially if we compares this zone with the rest. Finally, the
sound of high-frequency was as strong as before it was "repaired"
(*cough*).

I've finally spoke in French with someone at Sony Montreal (number 514-956-
7669) to know what are my possible recourse, here it is:

1) To make me refund my money by my retailer. (What is impossible because
it is saying to me that my screen is a "special order". Anyhow it cannot be
taken again by the supplier because, it was repaired (I am wrong?). This
point remains obscure for me despite everything...)

2) A technician of Sony declares that the monitor must be changed when
comes time to repair it. What it was obviously not my case, being given
that they decided to repair it.

3) Returning back (again) the monitor at Sony and ask them to repair it
again. (Sincerely I do not really want this, it took one month and half the
first time.)

What do you advise me to make???

I do not know if it's me which is too demanding and too "maniac" towards
the quality of my monitor. Personally I think that for 730$ I can require
the best and not accept an imperfect one. Am I mistaken? When I will carry
my car in the mechanic shop for a big noise, I don't expect that my car
come back with only one "small noise", but with no more noise at all! I've
conclued/understood that Sony does not assure satisfaction towards its
customers. I am very disappointed. Their support is terrible. if I had
known, I would have bought a Viewsonic that is not perfect, but at least I
would not have spent as much. I will question myself twice before buying
Sony products again.

I'm waiting for your opinions and advises. Thank you.

Steeve

My last monitor was a 17'' Panasonic Pro P70, who was just *perfect*?