John Del

Default Lightning strike to JVC AV-36260

Subject: Lightning strike to JVC AV-36260
From: "Leonard Caillouet"
Date: 7/9/03 7:34 AM Eastern Daylight

John, why would you assume this? I have seen many sets and related
components damaged by lighning coming down the cable or antenna line
(actually usually shield), as evidenced by burn marks on the connectors and
ground foils burned up......
Leonard Caillouet

I assumed that based on the description of the problem with that JVC, something
I've seen lots of in their newer models. The original poster is saying the TV
is dead, save for the LED flashing. While it's certainly possible for this
damage to be caused by cable inputs (or even from other equipment connected
through the A\V jacks), the vast majority of damage I've seen from surges in my
30 plus years are line related, and this JVC certainly fits this description
well.

I have seen a lot of customers blame the cable company for line surge failures
in order to get the loss pinned on someone besides themselves. Of course I
don't know for sure, which is why I didn't say it in my original response, but
a flag went up nonetheless.

John