Ed Price

Default Lamp ratings

"John Woodgate" wrote in message
I read in sci.engr.electrical.compliance that Jeff frontline_electronic
wrote (in
et.att.net) about 'Lamp ratings', on Wed, 2 Jul 2003:

I was just surprised to see John Woodgate replying
and then others with detailed technical minds going
beyond the normal responces.

Curiously, a few weeks ago I had a serious discussion with a colleague
about the subject of the original enquiry, in particular whether
relevant safety standards are adequate in preventing incidents due to
overheating, and we concluded that they aren't. But in Britain,
overheated lampholders emit an unpleasant odour, and this acts as a
'preventative factor'! The surface temperatures (and that of the wiring,
unless silicone rubber insulated) of luminaires fitted with ceramic
lampholders can become unacceptably high if a too-high rated lamp is
fitted.

After the initial response, others joined in with statements that yet
others found a need to comment on. That is the way it is with
newsgroups, to paraphrase E Hemingway.

http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk

Now that is an interesting concept! As you approach an unsafe condition, it
stinks so bad you can't stand it. A fairly good warning, unless nobody is
present to smell it. No doubt I will be criticized as being insensitive to
the olfactory challenged.

Ed