Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott[_6_] Tim Wescott[_6_] is offline

Default Materials for making a mold

On Wed, 17 Jun 2015 13:15:02 -0500, jim wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:

I wonder if one could just pour a couple of gallons of epoxy casting
resin into a box, then send that off to the machine shop -- if you can
do it without bubbles you certainly have something that you can polish
to a high shine.

You could pour your own. But I think it would be cheaper to buy
something ready made. The patternmaker suppliers have a number of
products designed for CNC machiningto make patterns, plugs or molds.

https://www.freemansupply.com/RenShape5179Foundr.htm
http://www.alro.com/divplastics/plas...ct_lab850.aspx

https://www.toolchemical.com/showcategory.aspx?

CategoryID=590&SEName=tcc-tooling-planks&SiteID=5

A pattern shop in your area would probably be your best bet for the
machining and help in getting type of finish you need.

The one quote that I got (from Freeman) was more than the cast aluminum
slab!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services