Fred Holder

Default Nova DVR vs. Nova 3000

Hello Carl,

I've owned both the Nova 3000 and currently the Nova DVR 3000. The $900 machine
is an excellent lathe with an ac motor and speed changes are made by changing
belts. I had a 1 HP dc variable speed motor on my Nova 3000, which brought its
price up to almost $1500. My lathe would have been much nicer to use than the
$900 version because of the variable speed. If you've never had variable speed,
you might not miss it. The Nova DVR 3000 is a great step up from the Nova 3000
that I had. There is no belt to insert vibration (belts take a set and then
introduce a small amount of vibration), the motor is somewhere around 2 hp, they
list it as 1.7 hp, but from what I've heard all of the units that Teknatool has
tested produces up to 2.2 hp. Yes, the tailstock is heavier and that is a plus,
but I never had any problems with the tailstock on my Nova 3000. Overall, the
NOva DVR 3000 is a much better lathe than the Nova 3000. However, the Nova 3000
would be a great improvement over the lathe that you currently have. I had the
Nova 3000 for about three years and have had the Nova DVR 3000 for two years. At
this time, I see no need for anything better.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , Carl McCarty says...

I am getting ready to move up to a new lathe. I currently have an old
Delta Homecraft Double Duty lathe.
It works fine but I would like something with more capacity.
I have been looking at the tecknatool site and thinking one of their
lathes would suit my needs well.
I am seeking some advice from more experienced turners than myself if
the DVR motor and different tailstock is realy worth
all that extra money. With the extra $8-900 I could get all the
accessories for the lathe and still have money left over?
I was at Woodcraft the other day, and the salesman was pushing the DVR
pretty hard and acted like the 3000 was a thing of the past. But, they
also had the DVR on the floor and certanly make more money of an $1800
sale than they do $900.
So, if anyone would share their knowledge and point me in one direction
or another, I would appreciate it. Also, if you know of
another lathe in this price range and have a strong arguement for it, I
would like to hear it.
Thanks,
Carl McCarty