View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster

Default Cheap Volunteer labor

The museum got a couple of gears cast. And that was good, but the hubs do not have any hole thru them. So need to drill a couple of holes thru the hubs. Not the easiest thing to do with the machinery available. I think the holes are
2 and 5/16th in diameter and maybe two inches in length.

I have a 20 inch drill press, but the gears are just over 27 inches in diameter. And the drill press at the museum is smaller. Fortunately the gears are spoked. So one plan is to take the head off the drill press, put the gear on the base with the column going up between the spokes. And put the head back on the drill press. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have.

So have been thinking about anular cutters. Maybe getting one off Ebay. A brief look finds most of them will not make a hole two inches long. So that could involve cutting from both sides. Which is of course a PITA because you have to flip the gear over.

I have never used an anular cutter but have some suspicions. I expect anular cutters do not work well in a portable drill. It would be nice to drill using a portable drill and then flip the gear over and drill from the other side. And get a fair sized hole thru the gear hub before putting it on the drill press.

So is that possible, practical? Or is it a sure way to get beaten to death by the portable drill when it hangs up?

The other question is would it be worthwhile to use a anular cutter in the drill press and cut from both sides. Yeah that is a judgement call, but what is your opinion.

Yes the gears should have cores in the hubs, but they did not.

One last thought is to drill a relatively small hole thru the hub and enlarge it using a cutting torch and finish on the drill press.

Dan