Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sheet Metal Choices

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 12:41:09 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

I'm wondering what alloy and gage is going to give me good fairly rigid
results at the best (not necessarily cheapest) cost. I know that's a huge
over general basis to start with, but I really do not have enough general
knowledge of sheet metal work to ask the right questions.

First the alloy is not doing to change the stiffness.

I would use aluminum. Does not rust and easier to bend.
Second choice would be galvanized sheet metal as used for heating ducts. Does not rust for a long time and is cheaper.

And I would pop rivet it together. And would stiffen it up by adding some angles on the inside edges where they will not show. And on the inside of any large flat pieces.

Dan