Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
John Fields John Fields is offline

Default "Random" Circuit Needed.

On 2015-04-01, rickman wrote:
On 4/1/2015 6:31 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:

Do a search on the Xilinx web site for app notes on LFSR. Peter Alfke
published one which adds a few gates to specifically inject the zero
state....

yeah, but no LFSR visits all states.

---
That's not true, but I've heard that position defended on semantic
grounds because a "Linear Feedback Shift Register" can only include
EXOR feedback.

There is that: there are only three linear boolean operators, NOT,
XOR,XNOR, (and they can all be derived from XOR )

My position is that that's bogus, since by changing the name to
"Pseudo Random Sequence Generator" and employing the same additional
logic in the LFSR's feedback path, both circuits will be
topologically identical and each will visit all states.

That would make it a non-linear FSR

---
That's precisely why I choose to call them both PRSGs and allay the
semantic silliness in favor of what matters.

John Fields