Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
John Fields John Fields is offline

Default "Random" Circuit Needed.

On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 11:53:10 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 13:27:06 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Apr 2015 11:00:25 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

For a simulation situation I need a random number generator with a
twist...

What I need to simulate is a "random" selection of one-of-16 outputs.

Clock "speed" is 12.5kHz ;-)

Built of 74HCxx parts is preferred... I have a full ensemble of those
device in my PSpice library.

Thanks in advance.

...Jim Thompson

---
If you use something like an HC154 with an LFSR driving its address
inputs to generate random one-hots on its outputs, will that work
for you?

John,

What are you saying... take the outputs of the LFSR broadside to drive
the address lines of the 'HC154?

---
Yes.
---

I think that would do it.

---
OK :-)
---

Thanks also to Lasse for the same suggestion.

---
He posted earlier than I did, so the "win" is really his.

Also, perhaps not immediately apparent is that he also posted that
the length of the LFSR will determine the repeat of the one-hot
sequence out of the demux.

For example, if you use a maximal length 4 bit LFSR, the sequence
will repeat every 15 clocks, while if you use a maximal length 8 bit
LFSR the sequence will repeat every 255 clocks, and so on...

John Fields