Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default 10/2 amp battery charger

On Fri, 01 May 2015 14:03:34 -0400, micky
wrote:

Someone gave me an old car battery charger.

6 volts 10A and
12 volts 2A and 10A, determined by a slide switch.

A friend brings over a dead 12v battery.

On the charger, on 10A, it charges at 9amps.
On 2A, it charges at 7 amps.

Based on the meter on the charger.

What does it mean to be a 2 amp charger if it charges at 7 amps?

After an hour the charging rate dropped to 6 amps on the 10A setting,
and then it was 5 amps on the 2A setting.

Every charger I've had has been like that. Unless you want to pay
bigger bucks for a charger with true constant current regulation I
think what you have is all you can expect.