Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default One last ESR question

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 02:06:29 -0700, Phil Allison wrote:

On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 6:13:29 PM UTC+10, wrote:
Hobbyists use ESR meters more than most folk, but real technicians
use other, faster, more reliable means.

** Wot utter ********.

Not so fast. I can do rthings with a scope and a square wave that'll
turn your grind.

** Obviously you have never used the Bob Parker ESR meter or similar.

Readings are done in circuit, shown in ohms, instant and quite accurate.
The display auto-ranges to cover 10 milliohms to 99 ohms.

You can measure low value resistors too and check many kinds of
batteries - particularly lithium coin memory cells for condition.

Leaves the scope and square wave method for dead.

I have the Atlas/Peak ESR meter which I have yet to get to grips with. I
figured it was worth acquiring since I have a ton of stuff that uses
electrolytics awaiting repair.
I still haven't worked out, however, why it is that this meter can
perform ESR measurments in circuit whereas for capacitance one has to
lift a lead. There's probably some obvious answer to this conundrum I'm
overlooking.