Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default One last ESR question

John-Dill wrote:

I don't really use the ESR meter much anymore,

** That was not my question.

You asked if I removed caps to check for C after they passed
an ESR test, and I told you I don't use ESR meters in circuit anymore.

** Still no answer to the actual question.

Sorry, my answer was concise.

** Your answer was crap.

Hobbyists use ESR meters more than most folk, but real technicians use other, faster, more reliable means.

** Wot utter ********.

Service techs use them extensively while hobbiests only toy with them.

There is simply no more efficient way to weed out high ESR electros.

I use the ESR meter after a cap is replaced for curiosity sake.

** How ****ing stupid.

Over the years, I have found electros down in value but
still showing normal ESR.

** Yawnnnnnn - just how many Martians have you seen ?

Also, many electros show dielectric absorption and good ESR,

** They all do - you pig ignorant ******.

All I know for sure is you are a ****ing liar.

No, all you know is what you read on Wikipedia.

** FYI: I happen to be a personal friend of Bob Parker, the designer of the famous "Dick Smith" ESR meter. I built two of them, one is in daily use and the other kept as a spare.

Tell you what; I'll update the capacitor section for you
so it will make clear that ESR is not 100% reliable in
determining bad electros.

** Then you will be ****ing up a perfectly good Wiki with asinine crap.

..... Phil