Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del John-Del is offline

Default One last ESR question

On Saturday, April 25, 2015 at 8:05:19 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:

I don't really use the ESR meter much anymore,

** That was not my question.

You asked if I removed caps to check for C after they passed an ESR test, and I told you I don't use ESR meters in circuit anymore. Sorry, my answer was concise.

Hobbyists use ESR meters more than most folk, but real technicians use other, faster, more reliable means. I use the ESR meter after a cap is replaced for curiosity sake. Over the years, I have found electros down in value but still showing normal ESR. Also, many electros show dielectric absorption and good ESR, something your ESR meter can't show you. Look it up.

All I know for sure is you are a ****ing liar.

No, all you know is what you read on Wikipedia. Tell you what; I'll update the capacitor section for you so it will make clear that ESR is not 100% reliable in determining bad electros. This way, you won't come off as such a misinformed ******.

FOAD you stinking scumbag.

That's it? No wishing me colon cancer like you have in the past? Not sure if I should be honored or insulted..