Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck[_27_] Chuck[_27_] is offline

Default One last ESR question

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:55:58 -0400, JW wrote:

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 14:13:03 -0400 Michael Black wrote in
Message id: ple.org:

Snip
But ceramic capacitors don't go bad.

Good post, but I disagree with that. I've seem 'em short out. Just last
week I removed one from a -12VDC rail on an HP 4195A network/spectrum
analyzer. The cap had caught fire.

They short, go leaky, open up, and NPOs in rf circutry can begin to
drift in value. In the 20 years I've used an ESR meter, I've seen 2
electrolytic capacitors which checked good for esr and capacitance be
defective. Never found out what the failure mode was, but they were
in the video amplifier section of Mitsubishi televisions back in the
90s. Symptom in both cases was no video.

---