Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Can a TV camera be blinded by IR?

I too read this post several times and I don't understand it.

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 20:21:55 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

A friend of mine has a neighbor who has stuck a small video camera in his bedroom window to spy on the friend's yard.

Does something unusual ever happen there?

The problem is in clear view of the camera is the friend's 14 year old daughter's bedroom window.

This isn't really a sentence, yet I think it's the crucial point you're
making here. The camera seems to be taking pictures of BOTH the
backyad and her window???

Even if there were no camera, is she going to check constantly to see if
someone is looking out the neighbor's window? Let her pull down the
shade when she wants privacy. If she doesn't want privacy when she
should want it, that's for her parents to correct.

The neighbor claims that the friend is running an illegal business out of his home and the camera is there to try to catch him at it.

Out of his home or in the back yard?

Does it involve the girl? Or her room?

My friend hasn't tried to get the state police involved yet but the local town cops won't do anything about it.

Is the neighbor breaking some law? What law?

Maybe it's a civil matter and your friend should sue, but I'm not sure
what the cause of action would be. What do you two think?

Invasion of privacy? I don't think so. I'm not a lawyer but I think
it's the girl's responsibility to pull down a shade, if she is even the
target. They sell curtains and roll-down shades many places.

Anyway I had an idea. I keep a small B&W TV camera in the shop connected to a monitor which I use to check IR remote transmitters. When I hold a suspect remote a few feet from the camera and operate it the camera is essentially "blinded" by the otherwise invisible infrared pulse train. Can something like this be done cost effectively but naturally on a much larger scale to blind Bozo's camera? My friend got ****ed off one night and sat there with a laser pointer directed at this camera for a couple of hours. Although it didn't resolve the problem, it did bring the cops down to advise my friend that he couldn't do that without violating the neighbors privacy! Makes you question the definition of "freedom". The distance looks to be about 200 feet. Thanks, Lenny.

200 feet is pretty far. A fixed lens that can watch both the back
yard and the girl's window is probably not going to show much detail of
the girl. A telephoto lens might, but it's not likely it would show
the back yard also.

Please explain the problem.