Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ?Acetone vs Laquer Thinner?

On 6/5/2015 11:14 AM, wrote:

... paint thinner ... I prefer acetone ... It's far less nasty, smelly, and it evaporates really quickly. ...

Acetone is "less nasty, smelly" than paint thinner?? Not in my book.
Paint thinner is in same class as lamp oil, charcoal starter, and
kerosene. All quite benign solvents. Acetone is an aggressive solvent
- great care should be used on most plastics and paints.

Try this: wash one finger with acetone & another with paint thinner.
Notice how the acetone-d one is extremely dry from having the skin oils
dissolved & the paint thin-ed one hardly at all?

As to the smelly-ness, I'll concede that it is in the nose of the
beholder & not up for objective dispute.

Bob