Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] gsnoorky@gmail.com is offline

Default ?Acetone vs Laquer Thinner?

On Wednesday, July 29, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Byron D. Krohn wrote:
Please explain the difference between Acetone and Laquer Thinner.

Thanks,

Byron, in Austin, Texas

Computer techies like acetone very well for removing heatsink compounds and adhesives. Denatured alcohol may then be invoked for any remaining residue.. (Denatured alcohol evaporates more slowly.)

I noted recently that a speaker repair tech on youtube uses lacquer thinner to clean up speaker gasket adhesive, instead: So I end up here wondering about solvents.

A cabbie friend of mine before had generally used paint thinner to get rid of stickers on cars: I pointed out why I prefer acetone for that instead. It's far less nasty, smelly, and it evaporates really quickly. He appreciated the info, tried it out, and agreed. (We knew about WD-40, too.)

Acetone definitely is fine also for removing cyanoacrylate ("super glue")--it's the main ingredient in nail polish remover. Again, it's far "nicer" than paint thinner for that.

I like acetone since it evaporates quickly: That makes it sometimes a less effective solvent, though. I'm considering obtaining a small can of lacquer thinner--it's not essential, though: I've used acetone before in speaker repair.

Thanks to everybody here!