Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default Hi-temp cement advice please

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 3:59:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 14:38:29 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 11:06:00 -0700, wrote:

My brother and I are welding up a couple of replicas of a "Klamath
Stove" See this link:
http://www.foresthistory.org/ASPNET/...amp/sec4-6.htm
The first picture of the stove shows a man standing by a stove with a
square chimney. This is the stove we are replicating. However, the
original Klamath Stove just had a metal top and front whereas ours are
complete steel boxes that will be set into some type of concrete. By
the way, the article is quite old and mentions that the stoves haven't
yet had the test of time. The stoves were built by the CCC during the
depression. So they are about 80 years old and still work very well.
So I guess they have now been time tested. When the stoves are done
and ready to be put in concrete what should we use? Will plain old
post mix work? Do we need special cement in the concrete mix?
Thanks,
Eric

If the "3 to 1 concrete mix" cited in the article has worked inside
the fire boxes for all these years, it ought to work outside as well.
I assume that means 3 parts sand to 1 part concrete and no aggregate.
This stuff (with which I once had an initmate relationship*) is
probably pretty close if you don't want to mix your own.
http://www.quikrete.com/productlines/SandToppingMix.asp

*My relationship with Quikrete involved driving a truck delivering it
around eastern MA, CT and RI when I was in college in Boston in the
early 70's.

I missed that Ned. It does indeed look like plain old concrete
will work.
Thanks,
Eric

If carrying the entire thing around is a problem, there is always foam concrete, which is more lightweight. I don't know about the maximum temperature it can take, though.