Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Hi-temp cement advice please

On 04/06/15 04:11, Martin Eastburn wrote:
I'd put in a refractory cement - AL based comes in a bag.
Refractory cement isn't a water based cement. Portland cement has water
stored in the cement.

I use refractory cement - a different process - and it is in my furnace.
I melt Al and Brass. I don't want it to spit or explode.

If you spill some Al or Brass on the concrete floor - it will pop a
chunk out with steam explosion.

Martin

Plenty of refractory cement is water based, I use 1600C and 1650C
capable refractory castable frequently, and some 1800C from time to
time, all work by adding water. The key is in the drying out and
commissioning the cast parts to dry out any initial excess water and
then driving off the chemically bound water. The binder isn't Portland
cement as that won't take the heat, but an alumina silicate based cement.

On 6/3/2015 1:06 PM, wrote:
My brother and I are welding up a couple of replicas of a "Klamath
Stove" See this link:
http://www.foresthistory.org/ASPNET/...amp/sec4-6.htm

The first picture of the stove shows a man standing by a stove with a
square chimney. This is the stove we are replicating. However, the
original Klamath Stove just had a metal top and front whereas ours are
complete steel boxes that will be set into some type of concrete. By
the way, the article is quite old and mentions that the stoves haven't
yet had the test of time. The stoves were built by the CCC during the
depression. So they are about 80 years old and still work very well.
So I guess they have now been time tested. When the stoves are done
and ready to be put in concrete what should we use? Will plain old
post mix work? Do we need special cement in the concrete mix?
Thanks,
Eric