Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default charge chest freezer

fired this volley in
news
And for a few more bucks you can put in a sealer and fix the leak
(better than 50-50 chance of the sealer working - but don't expect to
discharge and recharge in the future - it's a "last ditch" attempt. If
it doesn't last, you ditch it.

Don't expect the 'goo' sealers to positively affect capillary-tube
systems. They tend to seal up those parts, too.

I'm not a 'scrounge', generally, but when folks up and down my road throw
out reefers or window ACs, I will generally pick them up and dismantle
for parts -- just to have them around for family or near-neighbors'
problems. It costs me nothing but the trouble to 're-dispose' of the
same junk the next day.

A mile-up neighbor tossed an 18 cu.ft. Whirlpool reefer (about 6 yr old)
yesterday. I trailered it to the barn, and today had to go back hat in
hand, and offer it back to her -- working. 'Seems she'd gotten ripped-
off by an unscrupulous repair outfit who sold her a new one because "the
compressor was fried" in this one.

Well... it was... but not so badly that simply replacing the run cap
didn't fix it up fine. $8.58 + $4.50 s/h for a new one, delivered
tomorrow. In the meanwhile, the 'scrap' replacement cap is running it
just fine. (that's what the salvaged parts are FOR! G)

I hate it when folks get taken like that. The lady was nice, told me
"thanks", and said to keep it. So now daughter gets a nice clean working
fridge about twice the size of her little apartment job. A $13
replacement fridge in really nice condition with all the toys. shrug

Lloyd