Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default charge chest freezer

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 06:32:22 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 06:05:06 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Karl Townsend fired this volley in
m:

my neigbor said R134a is a blended refrigerant so you
need to have can upside down to put in liquid.

That part isn't true for 134A. Many manufacturers recommend charging gas
rather than liquid, even on systems requiring much less total charge than
the capacity of the dispensing container.

He might have confused 'lube cans' containing both refrigerant and
compressor oil.

Also, Karl, almost all refrigerators and freezers specify ONLY charging
on the high-side, while the compressor is OFF. That often requires
warming the can -- up to 120F.

Charges are typically small. An 18cu.ft. combo might take only 6-8oz
total charge. If you cannot observe the frosting of the coils, it makes
more sense to 'recover' the old charge, and use weigh-charging to get it
right.

Lloyd

Thanks for the reply. Good to know I can charge conventionally.

I'm sure you're right for new installs. I don't own the equipment to
do recover/weigh/recharge.

I now have a system that leaks. Need to check with it running to a
set pressure number and see how much add to get back to there on a
regular basis.

If it leaks, find the leak and fix it , or replace it. It is ilegal
to charge a system without testing it and repairing any leaks.