Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend[_7_] Karl Townsend[_7_] is offline

Default charge chest freezer

I'd ask over on the HVAC forum, but I got my head bit off last time.

We have a 21 cuft commercial chest freezer. Quit working. My neighbor
was over last night and put on a pierce style fill fitting and put in
a couple oz R134a. Got -27 deg F this morning. So, all unit needs is a
bit of refrigerant.

Pressure reading on low side is -15 in HG. Any educated guess on what
low side pressure i should fill to?

Second question, my neigbor said R134a is a blended refrigerant so you
need to have can upside down to put in liquid. This can be a problem
slugging a small system. On all my R12 and R22 systems I've just let
the compressor suck in vapor off the top. Is it really necessary to
have can upside down?