Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I like big Butts!

On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 07:24:27 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 11:36:51 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2015 07:59:29 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

And the one on my smoker is a beaut . Around 9 pounds , nice pad
of fat on the bottom , and nicely marbled . Caught a pair total
weight around 16 pounds for a buck fifty-nine per and jumped on it
. The other piece just barely fit in a gallon freezer bag , it's
frozen for later - maybe 4th of July .
Been on since around 10 last night at around 195° , looked really
good when I rotated it a few minutes ago .

BBQ and beers ... Shirley !

Temple? Or You Jest?

She's the virtual barmaid over at rec.motorcycles.harley , also
known as The Virtual Bar&Grill . This was also posted there .

Oh, that explains why I haven't seen her. She doesn't hang out at
rec.motorcycles.rice.burner.

I Qed up and charred a pork loin last week. All that fat made
quite a fire, so the microwave finished cooking the inside. It was
great.

This isn't "Q'ed up and charred" my friend . This is a highly
controlled and monitored application of smoke and heat to a
well-seasoned piece of high quality Pork Butt .

Thain't no such thing as "bad butt", is there?

I use a horizontal tube type of smoker that has a fire chamber on
one end . The opposite end of the main chamber has a smokestack with
a damper . Between the inlet control and the stack damper , I held
the cooker at between 185° and 195° from 11PM until 4:00 the next
afternoon . Small pieces of Seasoned Cherry Wood were
strategically placed throughout the chunk charcoal charge to
optimize the sweet smoke and it's enhancement of the flavors
produced .

Yum, fer sher.

Bottom line , nobody's ever turned down third helpings - and I've
"turned" Texans to pork . There are 2 secrets - low heat for a long
time , and a dry rub that forms a glaze to help retain moisture . I
usually pull the meat from the bone with a plastic fork ...

drool

I'd be happy to post my rub recipe if anyone wants it ...

Oh, if you must. The word "rub" in this context is new to me, as
of about 5 years ago. It brings a smirk to my face every time I hear
it, thinking "There he goes, rubbing his meat again..." vbg Until
then, I'd only heard "sauce" or "seasoning recipe", and I'd never seen
rubs in grocery stores at all. But I live for spice, so bring it on!

You did see the recipe ?

Saw it, thanks. Why the durned sugar? Butts aren't dessert.

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt