Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I like big Butts!

just_me wrote:
On 02-Jun-15 6:19 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 11:36:51 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2015 07:59:29 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

And the one on my smoker is a beaut . Around 9 pounds , nice
pad of fat on the bottom , and nicely marbled . Caught a pair
total weight around 16 pounds for a buck fifty-nine per and
jumped on it . The other piece just barely fit in a gallon
freezer bag , it's frozen for later - maybe 4th of July .
Been on since around 10 last night at around 195° , looked
really good when I rotated it a few minutes ago .

BBQ and beers ... Shirley !

Temple? Or You Jest?

She's the virtual barmaid over at rec.motorcycles.harley , also
known as The Virtual Bar&Grill . This was also posted there .

I Qed up and charred a pork loin last week. All that fat made
quite a fire, so the microwave finished cooking the inside. It
was great.

This isn't "Q'ed up and charred" my friend . This is a highly
controlled and monitored application of smoke and heat to a
well-seasoned piece of high quality Pork Butt .
I use a horizontal tube type of smoker that has a fire chamber on
one end . The opposite end of the main chamber has a smokestack
with a damper . Between the inlet control and the stack damper , I
held the cooker at between 185° and 195° from 11PM until 4:00 the
next afternoon . Small pieces of Seasoned Cherry Wood were
strategically placed throughout the chunk charcoal charge to
optimize the sweet smoke and it's enhancement of the flavors
produced . Bottom line , nobody's ever turned down third
helpings - and I've "turned" Texans to pork . There are 2 secrets
- low heat for a long time , and a dry rub that forms a glaze to
help retain moisture . I usually pull the meat from the bone with
a plastic fork ... I'd be happy to post my rub recipe if anyone
wants it ...
Greetings Terry,
Yes please, post your recipe. I am now in the process of adding
temperature controllers to my smokers and the smokers of my brother
and a friend.
Thanks,
Eric

Here ya's go :
Snag Rub
5 parts onion powder
2 parts garlic powder
1 part paprika
2 parts salt halve if you use sea salt
4 parts chili powder
6 parts brown sugar
Use whatever units of measure fit your task . Keeps well but has a
tendency to clump .
Y'all are welcome to share this recipe , all I ask is that you
call it Snag Rub .

I'm not sure the tag "snag rub" will catch on here in Australia where
snag is short for snagger. A snagger is a pork or beef sausage.

Call it "Snag's Butt Rub" then grin I know you Aussies have a sense of
humor ...

It looks like a good recipe anyway. I might try it on my next roast.
Do you add some olive oil or anything to it to apply it or do you
just rub it into the outside of the meat dry?

I rinse the meat off , pat excess water off then just shake it on and pat
it into the meat . You should end up with a pretty decent coat all over
except the bottom . That's the way it's done in Memphis Tn , and that's
where I learned how . I usually do butts , there is a pad of fat that I
put on the bottom . Keeps the meat from being as greasy - I put the meat
right on the rack , if you want you can put a catch pan under there to catch
the drippings .
Try it on some ribs , but they won't need to cook more than 3-5 hours .
--
Snag
I hear there's only two things wrong with New Zealand - it's above sea