Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I like big Butts!

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 17:19:58 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 11:36:51 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2015 07:59:29 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

And the one on my smoker is a beaut . Around 9 pounds , nice pad
of fat on the bottom , and nicely marbled . Caught a pair total
weight around 16 pounds for a buck fifty-nine per and jumped on it
. The other piece just barely fit in a gallon freezer bag , it's
frozen for later - maybe 4th of July .
Been on since around 10 last night at around 195° , looked really
good when I rotated it a few minutes ago .

BBQ and beers ... Shirley !

Temple? Or You Jest?

She's the virtual barmaid over at rec.motorcycles.harley , also
known as The Virtual Bar&Grill . This was also posted there .

I Qed up and charred a pork loin last week. All that fat made
quite a fire, so the microwave finished cooking the inside. It was
great.

This isn't "Q'ed up and charred" my friend . This is a highly
controlled and monitored application of smoke and heat to a
well-seasoned piece of high quality Pork Butt .
I use a horizontal tube type of smoker that has a fire chamber on
one end . The opposite end of the main chamber has a smokestack with
a damper . Between the inlet control and the stack damper , I held
the cooker at between 185° and 195° from 11PM until 4:00 the next
afternoon . Small pieces of Seasoned Cherry Wood were
strategically placed throughout the chunk charcoal charge to
optimize the sweet smoke and it's enhancement of the flavors
produced . Bottom line , nobody's ever turned down third helpings -
and I've "turned" Texans to pork . There are 2 secrets - low heat
for a long time , and a dry rub that forms a glaze to help retain
moisture . I usually pull the meat from the bone with a plastic fork
... I'd be happy to post my rub recipe if anyone wants it ...

Greetings Terry,
Yes please, post your recipe. I am now in the process of adding
temperature controllers to my smokers and the smokers of my brother
and a friend.
Thanks,
Eric

Here ya's go :
Snag Rub
5 parts onion powder
2 parts garlic powder
1 part paprika
2 parts salt halve if you use sea salt
4 parts chili powder
6 parts brown sugar
Use whatever units of measure fit your task . Keeps well but has a
tendency to clump .
Y'all are welcome to share this recipe , all I ask is that you call it Snag
Rub .

Thanks, if I tell anyone I will be sure to attribute it to you. I came
up with a brine recipe for corned beef if you are interested.
Eric