Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Which steel rod would have the least sag/twist/flex of a 4' stretch

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 23:18:02 +0000, Jman
wrote:

I need a steel rod/s. precision ground, polished, turned, heat
treated whatever is most effective. 3/8" OD and a length of 4'. I
need to know what kind of steel

Well, I can't help thinking that what the OP really needs here is very
high carbon steel - so high carbon it's not got any iron and is not, in
fact, steel, but rather, carbon fiber, which is quite stiff, as
materials we actually have available go.

And/or a much larger diameter rod, which may require a better design of
whatever this is - certainly if going to 10 feet I don't think there's
*any* 3/8" rod that will even resemble "stiff" unless there's also a
robust frame and the rod can be put under great tension.