Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
On 2/14/2015 7:03 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message

We are coming :-) - that is there is a machine and software that
takes pictures and converts them into objects.

Slices are what are used in 3-D printers - print a slice at a
time.

Simply get the scraper to take level down, photo it many times,
scrape and replete.

Then into the software all of the pictures and it makes a 3-D
model
in CAD - allowing a Plastic or Metal or ... material to reproduce
the real thing for a show. Painting and texture makes it look
real.

Martin

http://www.livescience.com/17222-str...reated-ct.html

I first heard of this being used to make durable replicas of
fragile
fossil bone fragments.
http://www.sciencenewsdaily.org/arch...ster470646366/

-jsw

I have a 3-D , still trying to get it really working. mostly works.

There are 3-D's that make body organs !!! and all sorts of things.
Whole bumper system - for verification and bolting on...

List goes on and on.

The neat one is making candy and icing. 65K colors and the fancy
food line.

Martin

Segway was an early user of 3-D printing for prototype parts. My
initial dislike of it came from reworking and patching the brittle
plastic with epoxy, until they got an ABS machine that could make
durable structural components including hinges.

The plastic ink for the mid-80's Howtek ink jet printer that triggered
3-D was quite brittle when printed, though strong when
injection-molded.

In addition to precisely placing dots of ink we could put a jet in
continuous squirtgun mode with a Purge cycle. No one was a skilled
enough artist or sculptor to take good advantage of this, they only
used it for blotchy freehand tee shirts. The corporate (gun) culture
wasn't right for me to mentioned or try to imitate Jackson Pollock.

-jsw