Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spaco@baldwin-telecom.net is offline

Default Adjusting Lathe Chuck Jaws faster on my atlas lathe

Well, guys, I feel thoroughly beat up now. But I really don't understand all the vitriolic comments.
Maybe I failed to explain WHY I offered these ideas:
The main reason for even considering the speed handle and drill ideas is when reversing chuck jaws or when going from a really small chuck opening to a really large chuck opening, particularly with the 4 jaw chuck.
Just go out to your shop and time yourself for reversing the jaws on a 8" 4 jaw chuck using the tee handle, then try it with the speed handle.

I have been "spinning the tee handle" for a long time and I am here to tell you that you shouldn't knock the speed handle until you try it.

The drill and speed handle thoughts were never meant to deal with making fine adjustments.
But the two little sockets/square stock tools are up to the job.

I probably wouldn't use the drill method myself, but I added it simply because I had seen it somewhere.

Pete Stanaitis