Jeremy Gibson

Default Pen turning with HF 40" lathe

Do you mean that the lathe drive has a 3/4" threaded spindle? I'm wondering
if the mandrel here
(http://www.penkit.net/catalog/produc...cts_id=331&osC
sid=06a3c80a8c68d86e42e6f221f8c6a899) would fit.
"Dr. Deb" wrote in message
Jeremy Gibson wrote:

I'm wanting to get into turning and pen making. It's hard to resist the
$99 lathe from Harbor Freight
(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36066)
as an inexpensive startup...but I can't determine if there would be a

pen
mandrel that works on that lathe. Is there anyone who has this lathe

and
is making pens?

I bought one of the HF 40" lathes and really had no complaint with it. I
jury rigged a chuck for the headstock by using a 3/4" threaded rod
connector and a chuck that I had laying around. Now I want to admit that

got lucky and that the weld job gave me almost no wobble. The whole thing
worked well.

But if you want to get into pen turning on the cheap I have a better
suggestion, provided you have a drill press. For about 6-10 bucks you can
make a verttical lathe that will turn pens just dandy. If you are
interested, let me know. In fact it may cost you less than $6.00,
depending on what you have laying around.

Deb