Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default I hate plumbing repairs part II and don't get married

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:CUpmw.681460$Hb3.179756
@fx03.iad:

On 12/23/2014 7:45 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote in news:hq6mw.427817$O76.426475
@fx15.iad:

Keep egg shells out of most [disposers]. The thin shell jams the spinning cutter.

Nonsense. Running egg shells down a garbage disposer is one of the classic methods

of
cleaning them (the others being coffee grounds, ice cubes, and orange peels).

An eggshell is far too fragile to jam a disposer.

Unless you're dumping ostrich eggs in your disposer, maybe...

Hum - my 3HP auto reversing unit states that egg shells can slip
along the edge of the spinning disk

I doubt it. The eccentricity of an eggshell makes that pretty unlikely for all but the tiniest
fragments of shell.

and do a jam fit.

I doubt that too. Geometry argues against it, and so does the fragility of an eggshell.

I've seen one that was done that way and a 15" wrench onto the Allen
just bent the Allen wrench. It is akin to a dime in a door jam - maybe
a penny. Can't open the door since it needs to move in a radius and is
stopped.

I'm calling bull**** on this. There's no way an eggshell jammed a disposer tight enough to
bend a steel wrench. Eggshells just aren't that strong. There must have been something
else in there besides, maybe a fragment of bone.