Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sandarpan Mukherjee Sandarpan Mukherjee is offline

Default Steel for Olympic Barbell

On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 06:37:13 UTC+5:30, John D. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 07:32:45 -0800 (PST), Sandarpan Mukherjee
wrote:

On Monday, 24 November 2014 00:09:02 UTC+5:30, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Sandarpan Mukherjee" wrote in message
Yes. What I would love to know is though, what is the elongation %
and reduction in area of the bars at the given strength. Something
no manufacturer is willing to tell.

A failed, discarded bar might.

If you plan to make these things you need a way to proof test them
anyway.

And therein lies the problem. The driving force behind me wanting to make a bar in the first place is a complete lack of quality equipment in my country. Elite athletes all import Eleikos. However they are sponsored. I am not.

Not to be insulting, but how much can you lift? do you really need a
bar that is made of 250,000 psi steel to handle the weight that you
can lift at your present stage of development?

--
cheers,

John D.Slocomb

I can squat 315 lbs and deadlift 400. Not nearly enough to test 200000 psi. But what happens if I accidentally drop a loaded bar on my power rack safety rods? Will the bar survive the severe bending impact? That is when a stronger bar proves its strength.