Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sandarpan Mukherjee[_2_] Sandarpan Mukherjee[_2_] is offline

Default Steel for Olympic Barbell

replying to Steve W. , Sandarpan Mukherjee wrote:
csr684 wrote:

Actually his numbers are at the minimum that are allowed in an Olympic

bar.
The lower end bars are 170K tensile. The good ones are up around 210K!
The idea is that the bar has to flex when you lift, that helps you by
storing energy that helps you flip during the lift. The bars also have
bearing inside the weight sleeves so that as you lift the plates don't
apply any torque to the bar and spoil the lift.
I have friends who lift HEAVY and most seem to use Eleiko, York or
Werksan bars. They are not cheap but they do seem to last.
When they do clean/jerk lifts that bar looks like a wet noodle.
--
Steve W.

What you are saying is absolutely true. This link ebay. co
m.au/itm/F-OLB-Force-USA-Olympic-Lifting-Bar-20-Kg-Cross-Fit-Warranted-for-Crossfit-Use-/321487232831
(delete the spaces) advertises a bar of 216000 psi TS and it's mentioned
that the bar is made from SCM 440 (same as AISI 4140) heat treated steel.
What's bothering me is the hardness. Firstly I want to machine the bar and
I also don't want it to be too brittle. Even if the yield strength is
exceeded, I want the bar to bend not break.

Thanks

posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ll-605857-.htm
using PolytechForum's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to
rec.crafts.metalworking and other engineering groups