Arch

Default How to 'contemporize' small bowls and boxes?

A cabinet shop gave me a zillion mahogany cut-offs. 2X6's about 10" in
length. My new Jet mini has sure had a fun workout. I've made enough
bottle stoppers to cork Napa Valley's yearly vintage, enough small bowls
to hold the world lettuce crop and enough small boxes to contain a
retirement home's bric-a-brac. I need your suggestions for ways to
embellish my 'old hat, 'same ole- same ole' usual designs. There are
lots of lists of things to make, but not so much on gussying up standard
small bowls & boxes, and what is available has been done so often that
they have become standards themselves. viz, Raffin, Stott et
al........and me!

Mahogany is bland but not unattractive. It turns easily and takes
vinegar-iron ebonizing well. It's much too good to waste, but the 2X6
size limits bowl design, at least for me.

Like the old song," I don't want to set the (art) world on fire", I
just want to make some unusual and different boxes & small bowls, Not
tops, whistles, yo-yo's and garden dibbers. Remember that I am only an
intermedite turner, whatever that is, and no, I don't want to ship the
stock to your shop. Arch

Fortiter,