Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] athiker@wind.net is offline

Default How should I finish a red cedar bowl

On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 19:38:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I work almost exclusively now with Juniper for both small carvings and an assortment of wood turning projects. After getting a lot of conflicting information on finishing I did some experiments on both green and seasoned Juniper and here is what I find works best for me. I tried several oils and while boiled linseed oil brings the colour out the best, mineral oil is a close 2nd place. So I simply brush on a coat of oil and then wipe it down and leave for 24 hours. Then do a 2nd coat the same way and leave for 24 hours. Then I apply 3 coats of water base gloss varathane and inspect for any roughness that may need re sanding. Then wipe clean after sanding touch ups and apply 3 more coats and inspect again. Then apply 2 more finish coats and I have a product with very rich natural colour, good grain definition, and a nice smooth finish. The varathane seals the oil and there is no after odour from even the linseed oil. If any of the turning projects have bark or voids on them after
shaping, I stay with mineral oil. Sounds like a lot of work, but each coat takes less than 2 minutes to apply with a brush.

Why don't you post a picture on alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking?