Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

Sonny wrote:
Despite an old post, a relevant aspect (maybe) can be gleaned.

Stirring properly and following can instructions may have been a part
of the OP's problem, but I think moisture contributed to the issue.

Maybe, but...

The OP said the wood was stored in the garage (in essence, outdoors,
cold temps?), yet the work place was a "heated porch". He/she said
the wood "... "feels" moist". He/she may not have allowed the wood's
temp to acclimate to the work place's higher temp, hence, there may
(likely?) had been slight condensation on the wood surface. I
assume, quick condensation formed on the can's lid, also, apparently
(again, I assume, by what the OP said) immediately after opening.

Just to set the record... this is what my newsreader shows as the original
post (despite it being long aged...). I don't see anything in the OP that
talks about storage in the garage, heated porches, cold temps, feeling
moist, etc. Are you referencing a different post when you refer to the OP?

On Friday, February 13, 2009 12:00:36 PM UTC-6, bw wrote:
Purchased last fall, opened yesterday. Stirred as usual, looked ok.
Applied with foam brush on test piece of medium pored teak-like wood.
Set aside at room temperature and it immediately starts to look like I
coated the wood in white soap.
What the hey. After a couple hours no change. Almost looks like I painted
the wood with white lead.

I've used this produce before without problems, but it "might" be some
kind
of reaction with the wood.
The wood was purchased at a farm sale in a batch of other hard woods that
could have been over 30 years old. Some mahogany and what I thought was
teak
but I can't imagine what the heck happened.

Maybe return the can to the store and try another batch.

************* End of Included Text ******************

--

-Mike-