Posted to rec.woodworking
jloomis[_2_] jloomis[_2_] is offline

Default Minwax fast drying polyurethane dries to white haze

Moisture problem?
In the can, or brush, or humidity?
john

wrote in message

On Friday, February 13, 2009 12:00:36 PM UTC-6, bw wrote:
Purchased last fall, opened yesterday. Stirred as usual, looked ok.
Applied with foam brush on test piece of medium pored teak-like wood.
Set aside at room temperature and it immediately starts to look like I
coated the wood in white soap.
What the hey. After a couple hours no change. Almost looks like I painted
the wood with white lead.

I've used this produce before without problems, but it "might" be some
kind
of reaction with the wood.
The wood was purchased at a farm sale in a batch of other hard woods that
could have been over 30 years old. Some mahogany and what I thought was
teak
but I can't imagine what the heck happened.

Maybe return the can to the store and try another batch.

I am having a similar problem with the same product. The first time I used
it the room came out beautiful. The next room I did a week later is dull.
I used a foam brush both times. I went and bought another can and went
over it to get the sheen. Waited a week and did another room and the same
problem again! Just no sheen at all! Maybe I have to buy small cans, so
it's a new can each time. Depressing! I still have 4 rooms and a landing
to go. I was wondering if I shouldn't be wiping my brush on the side of the
can as I go? I just don't understand!